Non-resident importers to the UK

Non-established Taxable Person (NETP)

An international business that sell taxable goods or services in the UK is classed as a Non-Established Taxable Person (NETP) by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).

If you sell taxable goods here in the UK but your business is based overseas or you are a non-UK resident, you will be classed as a NETP. As such, you will need to register for VAT with HMRC.

How using a VAT agent will make your tax duties simpler

If your company does not have a physical base in the UK but trades here, the simplest way to deal with HMRC is to instruct a VAT agent to register and file your VAT returns on your behalf.

Many non-EU international importers to the UK will already be aware of the advantages of using a VAT agent, to act as their UK agent.

However, if your business is based in the EU, this may be the first time that you have needed to deal with such matters.

Our VAT experts provide a full VAT agency service. We will act as your company’s UK-based agent and liaise with HMRC directly on your behalf, ensuring that your filing dates are accurate and dealt with on time.

We offer a comprehensive service and can take care of:

  • Import VAT
  • Duty payments
  • Consignments of value below £135
  • Place of supply determinations

There are significant penalties for breaching VAT regulations and a VAT agent will ensure that you do not receive fines for late filing or other non-compliance matters.

VAT is a highly complex form of taxation which becomes even more complicated when handling cross-border transactions.

Find out more about our competitively priced VAT agent service. Get in touch with us now using the enquiry form below.

Meet our experts


Please use our online enquiry form and a member of our experienced team will get back to you.

If you would like to see full details of our data practices please visit our Privacy Notice and if you have any questions please email